Airline Policies for Kids: An Online Directory
This is a comprehensive directory created by Momaboard for easy access to airline policies with regards to travel with kids. For your convenience, I have highlighted stand-out points of each airline and provided a link. Some additional points to note when using this directory:
1. The information is as of March 31st, 2011. Please call airlines to confirm before travel as policies change frequently these days.
2. Partner and codeshare airlines do not share the same policies so it’s important to call the carrier you are flying on, not the one you booked through to verify details and book meals.
3. Once your kids hit the age of two, ask about mileage programs for kids and sign them up as a great way to start accumulating credit for your travels.
4. Standouts from the list below with exceptional services and facilities for kids are British Airways, Lufthansa, Emirates, JAL, Qantas and Air France. Singapore Airlines get special mention for having bassinets with the maximum weight limit (14kgs or 30lbs).
5. Bookmark this page, it’ll come in handy!
In alphabetical order:
- No minimum age for infants, but premature babies must have medical certificate
- Comet kids club for mileage for kids upto 13 years
- “Happy Kids” entertainment on long flights
- Infant and kids’ meals only available on international flights and in Executive class within North America.
- Coolers for formula, milk recommended as refrigeration not an option on many flights.
- Children’s meals and bassinets available upon booking
- Read Momaboard’s experience with Air China
- Bassinets upto 10kgs (22lbs)
- Fun gifts on intercontinental flights
- Planet Bleue for kids upto 17 includes special assistance at the airport and events at CDG in Paris. Flying Blue mileage starts at 2years .
- Bassinets upto 8 months old (and weighing a maximum of 11.8kgs/26lbs)
- Kids’ entertainment packs, supplies and meals are not available on domestic flights.
- Special lounge at Rome Fiumicino airport
- Bassinets are available on board, but if not you can bring your own (check for size requirements)
- Kids meals not available on domestic flights
- No food, formula, bottles provided on flight
- Bring your own kids’ headset or buy one for $2 for in-flight entertainment
- Discounted seats for children between 2 and 12 (infants fly at 10% of fare)
- Family check-in for up to 6 people at ba.com
- “Feed kids First” policy so that you can you enjoy your meal in peace after the kids have had theirs
- Bassinets upto 12kgs but not recommended for children over 6 months
- 2 infants with one adult provided infant is over 6months and in a car seat
- Bassinets and baby foods available on all flights
- Bassinets upto 10kg or 22lbs
- Not equipped to heat baby bottles in-flight
- Two infants per adult
- Read a review of Delta Airlines on Momaboard
- Complimentary stroller service at Dubai airport (twin strollers as well)
- Bassinets up to 11kgs. Customized bassinets available in first class also.
- Priority boarding for families
- Skysurfers frequent flyer program for kids 2-16 years
- Lap child not eligible for meals
- 2 infant tickets maximum per adult
- An adult with 2 infants is permitted provided one of them is in a car seat
- Bassinets up to 11 kgs and must be booked via the booking office and not online
- Priority seating for families
- Priority boarding
- Blanket and stroller rentals
- Milk preparation in-flight offered
- Travel with kids information not readily available on the website
- No online check-in if you are traveling with a lap kid
- No baggage allowance (diaper bag, car seat and stroller permitted)
- Bassinets upto 10 kgs (22 lbs)
- Entertainment for kids available
- Flying Blue mileage starts at 2 years (same program as Air France)
- Baby bassinets upto 11kgs (24 lbs)
- Meals for 12-24month old babies is baby food (you may want to bring your own or inquire about a child’s meal)
- Lufthansa Family Service will guide you through Munich or Frankfurt airport for an additional fee
- JetFriends mileage program for kids between 2 and 17 years
- Special attention to sugar-free and balanced kids’ meals
- Coloring books for in-flight entertainment
- Children’s play zones and lactation rooms at select airports
- Complimentary activity books for kids 3-10 years
- Nutritious children’s meals that must be ordered upto 24 hours in advance
- Bassinets upto 11kgs (approximately 24 lbs)
- One infant per adult
- Complimentary kids kits
- Limited supply of baby food, diapers and other supplies on flight but best to bring your own
- Dedicated family Zone at Sydney airport T3
- Read about Momaboard’s experience with Qantas
- One pram permitted free per infant (no additional hand/checked baggage unless paid for)
- Priority boarding available for purchase
- Bassinets upto 14 kgs or 30 lbs
- Diapers, disposable bibs, feeding bottles, and baby wipes are also available onboard, upon request.
- Read a review of Singapore Airlines on Momaboard
- Once your child is age-verified, you can create a Rapid Rewards account for online check-in
- Read a review of Southwest on Momaboard
- No special services for children
- Bassinets go up to 6 months of age only
- Mileage program starts at 2 years
- Read a review of United Airlines on Momaboard
- Lap children at 10% of fare and seated children at full fares
- 3 sizes of bassinets available
- Will heat up milk on demand
- In-flight entertainment for kids
- Child meals available and must be requested up to 72 hours before travel
- Read a review of Virgin Airlines on Momaboard
Kids Safety Video: Just for Fun